Origins Online (ELC)
Seoul Free & Easy Trip (Part 1)
Hurray...my holiday is finally coming up in few days time! This time round I am flying to Seoul!


Many people have the impression that it is difficult to travel on your own to Seoul because of the language barrier. However, I have read reviews from people who have done so and they claimed that it is actually quite easy to move around on your own in Seoul. Today, I shall share my pre-trip planning.


1. Hotel Accommodation

As usual, I rely on Trip Advisor for some hotel recommendation by fellow travellers. Hotel Ibis Myeong Dong was ranked as number 1 in Trip Advisor. The thumbs-up are mostly on its excellent location and comfortable room. After searching the web sites of several booking sites, I booked with the hotel's own site, http://www.ibis.com/, which offered me the best rate. After chatting with my colleagues and reading up on guide books, I found out that Myeong Dong is one of the most popular shopping districts in Seoul. It is equivalent to Shinjuku of Tokyo. Apart from the big Lotte department store, there are many shops and eating places in Meong Dong. It is also near several places of interest so staying is perfect for a shopaholic like me!



Another hotel in the vicinity is Metrol Hotel Seoul. The rates are lower than Hotel Ibis and just as convenient. Too bad I couldn't get a room at this hotel for the dates I am travelling.



2. Guide Book and Maps on Seoul

I used to think that you can locate any place in the world with Google map. However, I have come to realise that Seoul maps are not available in Google map! Oh dear! Where else can I get free maps on Seoul to do my trip planning??



Thankfully, I found the Korea Tourism Organisation website. Check out http://emap.visitkorea.or.kr/Scripts/EngMap.aspx for their interactive map. You can also download their official guide book, map and other useful information from http://121.78.85.41/hosting/government/knto/ebook08/eng/enu.html. Just make sure you click on "Download" to install the viewer before you can access the materials. Make sure you download their Shopping Guide Booklet! Simply brilliant!!


If you prefer to have a hard copy, you can drop by their office in your home country. For Singapore, the KTO office is located at Korea Plaza, #01-02 Samsung Hub, 3 Church Street, Singapore 049483. Nearest mrt station is Raffles Place.

Below is the location map from Street Directory.Com.





Some of the information and guidebooks I have obtained from their office.





3. Check out the weather

Geez, it is going to be real cold! Check out http://www.wunderground.com for a 5-day forecast. Looks like I have to bring along all my warm clothing and boots!


4. Dress for the trip

Layering is going to be my best bet. When outside, it will be freezing cold but once indoor, it will be very hot as buildings have their heater on. Hence, dress in multiple layers so that you can peel off the layers when you are indoor.

What I normally wear for such cold weather is:

Upper body: thermal long john inner layer, a long sleeve turtle neck top, a sweater and a good thick coat.

Lower body: thermal stocking and jeans/thick pants

For undergarments, I would recommend the cotton disposable underwear from Winter Time (they have one outlet at Marina Square). It feels just like a normal cotton underwear but you can just throw them away after use. Great if you want to travel light especially when the thick clothings are taking up alot of luggage space.

That's it for now. Look out for my trip update when i am back! I am going to share with you my hotel review and of course, my shopping buys from Seoul!!

Labels: ,

posted by blossom179 at 8:44 PM |


2 Comments: