Origins Online (ELC)
Longchamp Le Pliage Bag
I just bought myself another Longchamp Le Pliage bag in Large size when I went to Galleries Lafayette in Paris two weeks ago. The Le Pliage series come in 4 sizes - Small, Medium, Large and Xlarge. My first Longchamp Le Pilage - XLarge - was purchased two years ago in Paris too. To be frank, it is not a pretty bag. I mean, compare to my other bags, this must be the plainest! Here's what it looks like:



So what prompted me to buy such a plain looking bag? The reason is....it is a great travel carry-on! In case you don't know, this bag is foldable. Look how compact it becomes when folded:



Doesn't take up much space in your luggage but when you need extra space to store your last minute shopping, just open up and it becomes a roomy carry-on! Come in a wide range of colours too. Absolute must-have for travel!

If you ask me which size to get, I will say go for the Large size if you are using it just for travel. I have the XLarge and I find it too cumbersome at times. Carrying the Xlarge Pliage bag across the narrow aircraft aisle is a real challenge especially if it is loaded with stuff. I can't remember how many times I have knocked the bag against passengers who were seated in the aisle as I struggled passed them. Large size will definitely be more manageable. The medium size is alot smaller but can double up as a handheld bag for everyday use. I have seen many girls in Singapore carrying their medium Pliage bags in Orchard Road. Despite its plain look, it is very popular here in sunny Singapore for some strange reason. At the end of the day, you know what's the best size for you!

So why buy in France when it is available for sale in Singapore? For the cost savings of course! The Large size cost me EUR68 which is equivalent to about S$145. In Singapore, according to the ladies in Cozycot forum, the Small size costs this much! The Medium size costs S$215 when it only costs EUR58 (about S$123) from France! Look how much I have saved! And this is before I even claim for the VAT refund!

Not going to France? Well, check out the bags also available at other European airports, such as Amsterdam and Geneva. Being duty free, it will still be way cheaper.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by blossom179 at 5:57 PM |


14 Comments:


  • At December 17, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Blogger jacinth

    Hi!
    Could you kindly advise me on where should I purchase the longchamp Le Pliage in Paris? Are the prices the same throughout Paris? :) Thanks sooo much!

     
  • At December 17, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Blogger blossom179

    Hi Jacinth

    I would say the best deal is to get the Longchamp Le Pliage from the airport before your departure as it is duty free. The VAT is around 20% so I believe there is substantial savings for you buying it at the airport. Of course, the only downside is they may not have the colour you want at the airport and it will be too late at that point to go back into the city.

    If you prefer to get the Longchamp bag in Paris city itself, you can get it from Galleries Lafayette. They have an outlet witin Galleries Lafayette on the ground floor. Yes, prices are the same throughout Paris except at the airport where the price is before VAT. If you buy the bag in Paris city, remember to claim for VAT refund. I think you are entitled to VAT refund if you spend above EUR100. Do check with the sales staff.

     
  • At December 17, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Blogger jacinth

    Hi there! thanks so much for your prompt reply!
    I will be leaving from London airport, and yes i agree with you, if they do not carry the colour i want then its too late! :(

    I just checked that I need to spend more than 175.01 euros at any 1 store from Galleries Lafayette in order to claim the 12%VAT. Looks like I need to gather more orders.

    Thanks again for your advice! :)

     
  • At June 16, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Blogger annoymous

    Hi

    Do you know what colour is available in Paris Airport? I am asking to get the brown and red one from airport, so not sure if I could find it.

    Grace

     
  • At July 11, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    hi!
    i used to have the le pliage expandable duffle and i love it cause i could fit tons of my school books and my laptop in it. however i lost it and am looking for a replacement. i agree like the x large it's a bit too big. would the large le pliage fit my needs? like my laptop and books? thanks!

     
  • At July 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Blogger blossom179

    Hi Grace,

    Sorry for the late reply. Yes, you should be able to get brown and red at the Paris airport.

    Hi Dasads,
    If you are looking for an everyday bag, I think the M size will serve you well although it depends on how big your laptop is. The L size will definitely fit but may be a little too big as an everyday bag. Hope this helps!

     
  • At December 23, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    hi can you advise which terminal of the Paris Charles de gulle airport can I find the longchamp store? Thinking to get a le piliage home. Thanks! :)

     
  • At June 30, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Anonymous laeida

    hi grace,

    it is a same questions to ask you as my hubby is going to paris next weekhi can you advise which terminal of the Paris Charles de gulle airport can I find the longchamp store? Thinking to get a le piliage home. Thanks! :)


    Post a Comment ~ b

     
  • At May 26, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    hi while shopping at Galleries Lafayette, just wanna ask how did u claim your VAT?? And was it 12%? :) Thanks!!!

     
  • At March 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Blogger esion

  • At June 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Blogger :D

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At August 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Anonymous Jen

    Hi, Jacinth.

    I've been looking at a Longchamp Le Pliage bag for a while now (after seeing a few people at the airport using them as carry ons) and wanting to purchase the large size for a schoolbag. I usually carry a few textbooks with me (usually 2 or 3) and was wondering if the Longchamp would be able to withstand the weight of them.

    Thank You :)

     
  • At August 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Anonymous Jacinth

    Hi Jen,

    The Longchamp is definitely able to withstand the weight of the books. I carry with my laptop in it, not a problem so far! :)

     
  • At May 10, 2014 at 12:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi, I want to buy a long champ backpack. But I m not going to Paris. Can I get it in Amsterdam schiphol airport when I do my transit? Thanks.